Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tracey Emin

Hello,

Well I refuse to write about Damien Hirst at the moment because there is too much hype around his new tate exhibition. I'll blog about it in a week or so.

Instead I'm thinking about Tracey Emin's 'dove planes', one of which was unveiled recently.

The planes are being made for the olympics and she's been mentoring the artist Pascal Anson to create these arty aircrafts.

It's quite clever because of the whole 'peace' thing associated with doves - a kindof stick of a finger up to hijackers.

I'm not sure whether I like Emin being associated with these kinds of projects though. I always think of her as a personal poet - yes political but in a more personal way. And this isn't political anyway, it's decoration and seems to be wasting money.

It's not that she's selling out (it is), but this along with her voting tory nonstop nowadays just makes me feel disappointed. God, I sound so elitist and snobby. Afterall isn't this 'bringing art to the people' - it's right there slapped on a plane in the sky. They can't ignore it. I do usually like this - like the Marc Quinn sculpture placed slap bang in the middle of Trafalgar Sq.

But I just don't want Emin to be part of it. I'm not sure why, maybe I feel like she should be using all the time she has to be making more personal art for me to consume. Because I'm very 'blood-thirsty' for her work. Even thinking about her new artwork makes my heart race faster.

Pantha - x

No comments:

Post a Comment